Today is a new day, filled with new hope, and a new promise for the success of this bulletin board.

Yes, it's been closed for a few days, to let a few people cool off, and to let a few of us in the background get some sleep.

During it's absence, we have received a number of emails, dealing with many things. Everything from outright praise for the long-term success of this site, to hate mail, wishing it to die an ugly and horrible death immediately (and some of it's moderators along with it)...

The latter, I seriously cannot understand. I think that guy must have been out a drinkin' with the cap'n. (to quote Bob Brown)

Anyhow, let's deal with a few points, and remind everyone of a few things:

1. Read <a href="http://www.ca.dsm.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001362"> THESE RULES</a>.
If you don't care for them, please leave.
No hard feelings.

2. This is NOT a democracy.
We strive to be fair and polite at all times, but if you shove us hard in one direction, you leave us few choices.
(we're normally exceptionally reasonable people, ask anyone!)
However, the server this site runs on, and the bandwidth it uses, are not free, and are not public property.
Thus, the chance of free elections of replacement administrators happening any time soon, is about the same as a snowball's chance... well you get the idea.
If you don't care for that fact, please join another online bulletin board, and we'll all be happy. laugh
(there are many very fine ones out there, some newer than others, or, start your own!)

3. There is no dual standard here, or any sort of "selective enforcement" going on.
Contrary to popular belief, this is a true and factual statement.
We choose not to stick our nose into every last post on a daily basis (frankly, we don't have the time or manpower), but investigate anything and EVERYTHING that is referred to our attention, with GREAT DETAIL.

Bottom line?
If you have a problem with someone's posting, activities, language, attitude... use the "whistle blower" icon at the bottom of the post, and report it.
We'll take it from there.
You don't have to testify in court, your name will not be revealed, you may even qualify to receive a reward!

Most such issues are discussed among the moderators, before we take action, so don't feel singled out, if it's you we took action against. In return, don't get mad at the messenger. He is just doing his job.

Chances are, you broke one of the posted rules, and should have known better anyhow.

If you don't like our final decision, it's your choice to bring that fact to our attention privately, accept it as-is, or simply leave.

Again, no hard feelings. smile

Note: the most recent problem that ocurred with a member stealing from the DSM community, was not found by us, but rather reported by a 3rd party who was concerned about the legality of the item a member had for sale.

4. Yes, we do keep a list of the people we have given warnings to.
So, for those who think that there are repeat offenders on here who should be instantly turfed to make the world a happier place, we're way ahead of you. wink

5. Illegal activities will not be tolerated.
IN ADDITION; Illegal activities that serve to directly harm the DSM Community at large, will be tolerated EVEN LESS.
Enough said.

6. Censorship.
This falls under the same section as the aforementioned "dual standard".
You have a problem?
Report it. We promise results.

You like to swear your ass off, and post "aLl KiNdS oF kEwL WeRdS tO yA SisTa".... well, we're going to cut that off at the knees.
Don't like that?
Sorry.
I'd encourage you to try some of the alternative sites, where I'm sure you will feel much more at home, for as long as they last. wink

7. Finally, this post isn't just from me. The admins have reviewed it, commented on it, and we have collectively posted it, together.

---------

That's enough for now.
I hope you can understand our position, and the reason for the break.

Our thanks... now let's all get back to enjoying life.

Andrew Bienhaus
Bring on the Cobras... she's hungry for snakemeat.