Ahh, but Ziggy, I'm starting to see more into Sean's situation now. It's a case of trying to enforce your 'slower traffic keep right' rule. It sounds like he was waiting for Sean (the slower car) to pull to the right like he's supposed to.

I used to do this sometimes as well (although I didn't tailgate, I flashed my brights), but when I saw someone in a left lane on an open highway, I'd stay behind them and 'remind' them they're supposed to be in the far right lane in that case. That's the discipline. Even if you're doing 200kph, if it's an open highway, keep to the right.

I could go into a rant about the reasons, righteous and/or stupid about left-lane hogging, but it's been done before. I think the two most ridiculous people I ever saw on an open highway wouldn't pull over, so I passed one on the right. Pulled left, and slowed them down gradually until we were almost stopped (no other traffic). Then I gave up. (This was a 'librarian'-looking woman who you know couldn't think for herself when driving.) The other, when I slowed in front of them, would then pass ME on the right, and pull right back into the left lane (this was WITH traffic). Even with more cars backing up behind them, they just wouldn't take the hint.

Now roads like the one Nigel mentioned, and certain parts of highways, are exempt from this rule. That's where you want to be in the lane that permits easiest access to where you want to go before you have to change over. Like a left exit off a highway, highway splits in two, etc... A lot of people can't make this distinction.

But like I mentioned earlier, after having driven in SoCal, where lane discipline is non-existent (motorcycles, both civilian AND police) drive on the lines to go between cars) and seems to be more based on how long you plan to be on the highway, I can see how they can make that system work if EVERYONE does the same thing.

Just like those videos of traffic in India and the Far East. Unfortunately, when something DOES go wrong, it goes VERY wrong.