April 06, 2007 11:03 pm UTC
Georgetown, ON
Brad Cleaver Offline OP
Serious Member
Brad Cleaver  Offline OP
Serious Member
Georgetown, ON
Hey everybody
Well I just bought a new 2g 97-99 Eclipse blitz body kit,and will be performing the install myself.
I have already tried looking for a previous post for this, but after looking all the way until 2002, I wasnt able to find anything, lol. I know installing stock body parts is alot easier, but fibreglass is very tricky.
Id just like to know what I should be using to fasten the kit down from the brackets, like 1.25" self taps? smaller? different screws?
If anyone has preformed their own installation on there kit and knows what to use, any input would be greatly appreciated, as I am installing this kit late next week. thx
Brad

Black Talipse
Re: Screws to fasten a bodykit #221974
April 07, 2007 01:26 am UTC
April 07, 2007 01:26 am UTC
Hamilton
V
Vincent V Kuber Offline
Vincent V Kuber  Offline
V
Hamilton
All depends on how the kit fits on the car. Body kit bumpers dont come predrilled like factory ones. If the kit fits good you should place the pieces on the car and mark wehre they need to be drilled. Take it off and drill it out. Use your stock hardware to fasten the bumpers on.
If it doesn't fit good then you have to modify it to fit good. Plan and simple. Then mount it like I said above.
For sides you ahve to be concerned about legth. If it has to be stretch out or shortened you have to cut in the least "designed" area. Meaning wehre you can remold the 2 cut pieces together.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I've owned my own performance shop/body shop and did this everyday.

Vince

Re: Screws to fasten a bodykit #221975
April 08, 2007 05:10 pm UTC
April 08, 2007 05:10 pm UTC
Georgetown, ON
Brad Cleaver Offline OP
Serious Member
Brad Cleaver  Offline OP
Serious Member
Georgetown, ON
Alright, for the rear bumper:
Im concerned that that mounting brackets on the bumper will somehow fail and break, they seem to appear to be weak. Should I reinforce the mounts on the bumper by moulding a thin sheet of steel underneeth the mounts to give it more strength?

And for the sides:
for screwing the end pieces into the wheel well, would I then use self taps to screw it into the body? im not sure how else I would be able to fasten the skirts onto the car, I might later mold the sideskirts onto the car, I would not to that to the front or back,
any other comments or advice would be appreciated, thx Vince
Brad

Black Talipse
Re: Screws to fasten a bodykit #221976
April 08, 2007 11:20 pm UTC
April 08, 2007 11:20 pm UTC
Hamilton
V
Vincent V Kuber Offline
Vincent V Kuber  Offline
V
Hamilton
Hey Brad,

For the sides you got the right idea. THere's not much else you can use to prplerly secure it there. For the rear you should run mounting brackets on both sides by the back of the tire, on the bottom of the bumper. Just like a 1" wide stripe of steel would do good. Mount it from the bottom of the bumper to a secure spot under the car.
This will prevent the bumper to flap in the wind and loosen off in the future.